Please have a look at the following material to find out as much as possible about exploitation in the garment industry.
Come together in groups of four students to work on this topic.
Firstly, watch the following documentary with the topic “Trade rules and cheap Bangladeshi clothes”.
Read the article Despite the factory collapse in Bangladesh, ethics are soon forgotten when faced with a £5 dress by The Independent from 25 April 2013.
You can find further sources and helpful tools at the end of this page.
Discuss the documentary and the article in your group. Especially focus on the following aspects?
- Why do you think that people have to work for such low wages?
- Who is responsible for this situation?
- What can we do to reduce such problems?
- Do you think that this documentary and article would alter your buying behaviour?
- Do you agree that exploitation is a form of modern slavery?
Prepare a short visual presenation about the questions above and what you have found out in your group.
The whole group should present their work to the class. Please make sure that everyone is prepared for the presentation.
After every group has presented their work we will have a discussion about this topic in class.
Homework: Write a reflection about what you have learned about exploitation in the garment industry on your blog. Also, read at least three entries from other classmates and comment on one of them.
- Child Labor in Informal Garment Production in Bangladesh
- Factory Collapse in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh factory collapse toll passes 1,000
Further helpful tools: